Upenn Recreation

Outdoor Adventures

What is Outdoor Adventures?

Our programs explore the hidden gems of the greater Philadelphia area: the local mountains, rock, rivers, and forests. During spring break, winter break, and summer, we venture out to other wild destinations throughout the Mid-Atlantic states and beyond. From introductory to advanced courses we provide trips designed to increase competency in human powered activities.

Learn to rock climb, ski, backpack, and much more. Click Here for more information or register for one of our outdoor trips!

How Can I Get Involved?

All of our programs are open to Penn students, staff, and affiliates. We offer a discounted rate to those who are members of the Pottruck Health and Fitness Center. Click here to Register Online for Outdoor Adventure Programs. Registration is also available in the Membership Services Office.The Outdoor Adventures @ PENN office is located on the first floor of the Pottruck Health and Fitness Center at 3701 Walnut Street. Our Hours of Operation are available here.

  • Outdoor Adventure FAQ’s

    1. Do I have to be a member of the Pottruck Fitness Center to attend an Outdoor Adventure Trip?
      • Outdoor Adventure trips are open to any Penn community member or affiliate including: undergrad/grad students, faculty/staff, alumni, & hospital affiliates. Pottruck members do receive a discount on trips.
    2. Can I bring someone that is not affiliated with Penn on an Outdoor Adventure?
      • Yes, Penn community members can bring a guest that is not affiliated with Penn. Family, friends, children, and spouses are welcome.
    3. Who typically attends the Outdoor Adventure trips?
      • The trips tend to be a mixture of undergrads, grads, and faculty staff. Usually approximately 50% of participants are graduate students in their mid to late 20’s with approximately 25% undergrads and 25% faculty/staff.
    4. How many people usually attend the Outdoor Adventure trips?
      • Most Outdoor Adventure trips have up to 10 people that attend. The downhill skiing trips have up to 50 people.
    5. What is included in the price of the Outdoor Adventure trips?
      • All trips include transportation, trained guides, instruction and all necessary equipment. Overnight trips usually include at least 1 meal.
    6. What do I need to bring on a typical Outdoor Adventure?
      • Typically, you just need to bring appropriate clothing/footwear, food and snacks for the day, water and a small backpack to carry your belongings. Weekend or extended trips may require you to bring your breakfast, lunch and snacks for the entire trip.
    7. Do you offer trips over academic breaks?
      • Yes, Penn Outdoor Adventures usually offers a Fall Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break trip which are up to 6 days long and explore areas around the country.
    8. Can I rent outdoor equipment for my own personal adventures?
      • Yes, most Outdoor Adventure equipment is available for rent. Check the website for available items and pricing.
    9. How do I register for an Outdoor Adventure trip?
      • To register either use the online registration portal on the Penn Campus Recreation website, or you can visit or call the membership services office in the Pottruck Fitness Center.
    10. How do I find out what Outdoor Adventures are offered?
      • All upcoming Outdoor Adventure trips are listed on the “Outdoor Adventure” section of the Penn Campus Recreation website. We communicate via social media on Facebook and Instagram @Pennoutdooradventure. There is also an Outdoor Adventure List-Serve, where you can receive emails about upcoming trips and events.

    For any questions not covered above, please contact:




Indoor Climbing Wall

Penn’s 40 foot indoor climbing wall, located in the Pottruck Fitness center is a great place to get your adventure fix when you don’t have the time to get outside.  The climbing wall is open seven days for open climbing and instructional courses.  The Penn climbing wall offers free equipment rentals and trained, knowledgeable staff to help you with all of your climbing needs.  A climbing wall pass is required to use the wall.  The climbing wall is also available to rent for student groups or other Penn affiliated organization.  Click Here for more information about the Penn climbing wall.

  • Climbing Wall FAQ’s

    1. Do I have to pay extra to use the climbing wall?

      • Yes.  You must purchase either a day pass-$7, Semester Pass-$75, or 3-Term/Annual Pass-$125 in order to use the wall.  Semester and 3-Term passes may be purchased online or in the membership services office.  Day passes must be purchased at the membership services office.
    2. Is there any times when there is no cost to climb?

      • Yes, typically at the beginning of each semester during “Demo Days” and at the end of each semester during “Wellness Week” climbing is free along with other programs within the Pottruck Fitness Center.
    3. Do I need to bring my own equipment?

      • No, we provide climbing shoes, harnesses, and chalk at no additional cost.  You are welcome to bring your own equipment, we just ask to inspect it before use.
    4. What kind of climbing is done at the wall?

      • There are 3-types of climbing allowed at the climbing wall.  Bouldering, top-rope climbing, and lead climbing are allowed.
    5. Do I need to have a climbing partner to climb on the ropes?

      • No, we have staff on-hand to belay you at any time.  If you wish to climb the ropes with a partner, we just require that you take a belay test with one of our staff.
    6. What are the hours of the

      • Hours vary depending on the season.  Please check the campus recreation website or the Outdoor Adventure office for the most accurate hours.
    7. Can I climb outside of the posted wall hours?

      • No.  The wall must be staffed in order for patrons to climb.  Climbing can only take place during the posted open climbing hours.
    8. Do you offer any instructional classes?

      • Yes, we offer a variety of classes from beginner to advanced.  Please check the “Indoor Climbing Wall” webpage for current offerings or stop by the Outdoor Adventure office.
    9. How do I register for an instructional class?

      • To register either use the online registration portal on the Penn Campus Recreation website, or you can visit or call the membership services office in the Pottruck Fitness Center.
    10. Can I rent the wall for events?

      • Yes, we offer events for university groups, departments, greek life, college houses and more. .

    For any questions not covered above, please contact:




Email Sign-up

Interested in getting the latest updates on Campus Recreation Outdoor Adventure and Climbing Wall programs?  Please Click Here to submit your name and email address to the List-Serve.



Hours of Operation

For Monthly Updates:

Online Registration

Follow us on Facebook